The Belvedere, Winter Palace and 21er Haus
The Belvederes two magnificent palaces, the Upper and Lower Belvedere, were built in the 18th century as the summer residence for the important general Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736). He chose one of the most outstanding Baroque architects Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt (1668-1745). The palaces with their extensive gardens are considered to be one of the worlds finest Baroque landmarks.
The Upper Belvedere houses the impressive collection of Austrian art dating from the Middle Ages to the present day. At the heart of the displays of "art around 1900" is the worlds largest Gustav Klimt collection. The glittering highlights are Klimts golden pictures Kiss and Judith, and masterpieces by Schiele and Kokoschka. Prominent works by the French Impressionists and the outstanding collection of Viennese Biedermeier paintings are further attractions at the Upper Belvedere.
Located at the heart of Vienna, Prince Eugenes Winter Palace has been renovated and is open to the public. The state apartments main rooms are now an exhibition space.
The 21er Haus is housed in the pavilion designed by Karl Schwanzer for the 1958 Brussels World Expo. Renovated and adapted by architect Adolf Krischanitz, it was opened in November 2011 as the Belvederes exhibition space for art dating from 1945 to the present day.